Beloved Brothers and Sisters:
There are times when we each need a wake-up-call to the reality of what is going on around us. Times when the culture around us reaches a new point of acceptance and even praise of evils we like to forget exist. This week we got such a wake-up-call in the form of a video designed to present a positive and happy “abortion story,” much in the same way that new moms love to tell of their pregnancy and delivery experience.
You can find “Emily’s Abortion Video” on YouTube here.
We have come to the point as a nation that a woman can make a video of having her unborn baby murdered, put it out there for all the world to see, and expect that the predominant response will be positive and encouraging.
Albert Mohler and Matt Walsh both have posted excellent articles in response to this viral video. (Mohler’s Article, Walsh’s Article)
This is the world we live in. This is the evil age in which God has places us. Remember the admonition from the Sermon on the Mount; just as no one lights a lamp an then hides it under a basket, so God did not save us so that our collective light would be hidden from the world. The light of Christ, the light of the body of Christ on this earth, the light of the gospel is desperately needed; if we have any doubt about how great the need of the gospel is in our culture around us, just consider the video in discussion and be reminded of the depth of the darkness into which our nation has plunged.
In Case You Missed It
- This past Sunday, Pastor Matt continued our study of Hebrews with a look at how perseverance is a community project in which we must continually remind one another about what we know to be true about God. Listen to Let Not Your Hearts be Hardened: Hebrews 3:7-19 Part II
- This Sunday is Mother’s Day. Take time to encourage the mothers in your life. Our service will be at its normal time (10:00 am), and we encourage everyone to spend the afternoon with family.
Scripture Reading and Prayer
In order to promote unity of heart and mind among us, we are encouraging as many as are willing to join with us in reading through the entire Bible this year together, as well as devoting specific Scriptures to prayer each day. It is our prayer that as we meditate and pray over the same Scriptures each day, that God will work in our midst to bind us to one another, and to give us a common vision for the ministry here in Maynardville. Prayerfully consider joining with us in this endeavor, and we will see how God will work in our midst.
Our Scriptures to pray over this week are:
- Thur (5/8): Col 1:9-12
- Fri (5/9): Phil 3:7-11
- Sat (5/10): Matt 22:37-39
- Sun (5/11): Jn 7:38
- Mon (5/12): Jn 4:23-24
- Tue (5/13): Ps 37:4; 1:2; 16:11
- Wed (5/14): Ps 27:4, 8
- Thur (5/15): Ps 42:1
Our Scripture reading schedule for the week is:
- Thur (5/8): 1 Sam 2:22-4:22; Jn 5:24-47; Ps 106:1-12; Pr 14:30-31
- Fri (5/9): 1 Sam 5:1-7:17; Jn 6:1-21; Ps 106:13-31; Pr 15:32-33
- Sat (5/10):1 Sam 6:1-9:27; Jn 6:22-42; Ps 106:32-48; Pr 14:34-45
- Sun (5/11): 1 Sam 10:1-11:15; Jn 6:43-71; Ps 107:1-43; Pr 15:5-7
- Mon (5/12): 1 Sam 12:1-13:23; Jn 7:1-30; Ps 108:1-13; Pr 15:4
- Tue (5/13): 1 Sam 14:1-52; Jn 7:31-53; Ps 109:1-31; Pr 15:5-7
- Wed (5/14): 1 Sam 15:1-16:23; Jn 8:1-20; Ps 110:1-7; Pr 15:8-10
- Thur (5/15): 1 Sam 17:1-18:4; Jn 8:21-30; Ps 111:1-10; Pr 15:11
With Love and Affection in Christ,